If you are looking for the best energy bars for every ride, then you are in the right place. There are several options in the market, but here you’ll find the definitive top 5 because you deserve the best performance and these bars will bring you so.
But how are we going to review them? We’re going to analyze the following factors:
As you can easily guess not all bars are made the same way, in fact some are pretty unhealthy, but here you’ll solely find those that will super-charge your energy and keep you healthy. Without anything more to add, get ready to be incredibly fueled by these excellent energy bars!
#1 – Clif Bar: A Classic
- The classically craveable taste of a freshly baked favorite.
- NUTRITION FOR SUSTAINED ENERGY: CLIF BAR is the ultimate performance energy bar, purposefully crafted to deliver an optimal blend of protein, fat, fiber, and carbohydrates to sustain active bodies. With 9 to 11 grams of protein, these energy bars are perfect for fueling up before, or during, activity.
- WHOLESOME INGREDIENTS THAT ARE BETTER FOR THE PLANET:Keeping your energy up never felt so good. As part of our mission to create a healthier, more sustainable food system, these protein bars are made with real chocolate, along with wholesome non-GMO ingredients like nuts, almonds, peanuts, dried fruits, and organic rolled oats.
- DELICIOUS FLAVORS, ENDLESS VARIETY:Satisfy any taste with a dazzling array of craveable CLIF BAR flavors, including classic favorites like Chocolate Chip and Crunchy Peanut Butter.
- ENERGY ON THE GO:Whether you need sustained energy for hiking, running, strength training, camping, or a long bike ride, CLIF BAR delivers wholesome, delicious energy, all wrapped up and ready to go.
This is one of the most popular energy bars in the world and thousands of mountain bikers really like it due to its great flavor and energy-boosting properties. Let’s start by reviewing the flavor.
A bar can be healthy but if the flavor is not the best, then things won’t work out. Fortunately, the Clif Bar is delicious and hence a quick meal you will really enjoy. There are over 20 flavors where to choose from, but the Chocolate Chip flavor is excellent and this is supported by thousands of riders who love finding tons of chocolate chunks into this bar. It hits the perfect spot in terms of sweetness and the organic rolled oats give it a delicious flavor you will fall in love with.
Some of the tastiest options are:
1. Coconut Chocolate Chip
2. Chocolate Chip Peanut
3. Berry Pomegranate Chia
5. Chocolate Brownie
All in all this a bar you will love eating because it has a hearty and delicious flavor and texture.
The flavor may be good… but is it healthy at all? The sad truth is that many bars rely on adding tons of sugar to improve their flavor, but fortunately it is not the case for Clif Bar. It is a bit more sugary than other options, but it is within the range of what is considered healthy. Even though it contains many sugary ingredients like organic brown rice syrup, organic cane syrup and dried cane syrup it is still good because the presence of these is not overwhelming. And worry not, because if you are looking for something less processed, then you only need to check the other options from this list.
Other than that this bar is decent in terms of composition because the price is pretty fair and you will get exactly what you are looking for: more energy for riding your mountain bike.
The price is pretty good, the flavor is excellent and the composition is alright. This energy bar will keep you going and provide you with a quick and tasty meal.
#2 – Caveman Foods Nutrition Bar: Perfect for Paleo
If you are looking for an energy bar that’s paleo friendly and free of processed ingredients, then this one by Caveman Foods is exactly what you need. Let’s review the flavor.
You can find it in 5 different flavors:
1. Dark Chocolate Almond
2. Dark Chocolate Caramel
3. Almond Cashew
4. Wild Blueberry Nut
5. Dark Chocolate Cashew Almond
And yes, they taste quite well, but here’s the thing: the wild blueberry nutbar can be a bit dry and sour. But well, that’s the price of eating paleo, especially if you are following this lifestyle strictly. Moreover, if you are following a low-sugar diet, then these bars will be perfect for you, just keep into account that the sweetness factor in the Wild Blueberry Nut will be much lesser than other processed options in the market.
What about the other flavors? Well, the chocolate flavors are pretty sweet but not in excess, so they taste very well. All in all, if you are looking for a real organic and paleo bar, then this one is perfect for you.
Now it is time to review the composition of this bar. Let’s check the principal features:
This one is superior to the previous bar in terms of composition because it doesn’t come with soy and is truly lactose and gluten free, so if that’s a concern for you then this energy bar is the perfect match for you. Moreover, these bars are 100% vegan-friendly. They solely use dried fruits, seeds and nuts which are totally organic and natural. And yes, the ingredients used in this bar have a low glycemic index, which means it won’t spike your blood sugar levels. All in all the composition of this energy bar is excellent and much superior to other options in the market. It will bring you the boost in energy you are looking for when riding, guaranteed.
As you can see this bar by Caveman Foods is one of the best for obvious reasons: they are tasty and have an excellent composition. Therefore, if you are looking for less-processed option or something that goes along with your paleo lifestyle, then this bar is exactly what you are looking for!
#3 – R.e.d.d Super Food Energy Bar: A 3-in-1 Solution
- This 12-Count Plant-Based Protein Bar Pack includes the following vegan protein bar flavors: (12) Mint Chocolate.
- Each of these protein snacks contains 10g of Plant-Based Protein. R.E.D.D. uses a proprietary plant protein blend of Hemp Protein, Pea Protein, and Pumpkin Seed Protein for sustained energy and easy digestibility.
- R.E.D.D. vegan protein bars are limited to 5g of sugar or less per bar, making them perfect for those on an anti inflammatory diet. The bars are sweetened with Monk Fruit for anindulgent taste.
- These healthy snacks are full of vegan Prebiotics and Probiotics, adaptogens (Reishi, Cordyceps, Chaga Mushrooms). Each bar has 1B CFU probiotics to support gut health. These ingredients help usadapt to stress, promote endurance, heart & adrenal health
- R.E.D.D. is always: Gluten Free, Dairy Free (Vegan), Soy Free, GMO Free, Brown Rice Syrup Free, and Kosher
Now here we have another amazing option and it is pretty good one because it’s a protein bar, multi-vitamin and energy shoot… but let’s find out if it’s as good as advertised.
You can choose between 4 different flavors:
2. Mint Chocolate
4. Peanut Butter
All of these flavors taste very well, so you won’t be disappointed with any of them. They are tasty for sure and thousands of satisfied customers can agree on that. This quick meal needs to be something that really pleases your taste buds, and rest assured that any of these bars will do the trick, but keep into account that the mint flavor in the Mint Chocolate version is a bit strong, so some will love it and some will hate it. It scores very high in the flavor department, so if you are looking for a truly delicious energy boost, then the R.e.d.d bar is all you need.
But is the composition healthy at all? Well, let’s start by checking a proper overview:
1. Brown Brice Syrup Free
2. Gluten Free
3. 10g protein
4. 23 vitamins and minerals
5. 35mg natural caffeine
6. 11 natural superfoods (quinoa, chia, pumpkin seeds, goji berries and more)
You need to take into account that it utilizes caffeine to give you that extra energy boost, which is good for the majority but may be a concern for you.
These bars are made with real and natural superfoods like maca, pumpkin seeds, chia, goji berries, cacao, acai and yerba mate which are proven to work for delivering you that extra energy you really need when riding your bike. It is also perfect for vegans because it doesn’t make use of animal products. Moreover, here you won’t find extremely sugary ingredients that are not healthy at all. This is one of the highest-quality options you will find in the market, because it is really composed of natural superfoods, vitamins and minerals that will bring you the energy you need and keep you healthy.
There’s no doubt about it: the R.e.d.d bar is one of the best you will find on the internet. Bikers and athletes love them because they are delicious, healthy and really bring an energy boost that lasts for several hours without a crash.
#4 – Epic All Natural Meat Bar: For Meat Lovers
- SAVORY SNACK BAR: a perfect on-the-go snack featuring bison, bacon and cranberries with 7 grams of protein per serving
- CONVENIENT: EPIC Meat Bars are the perfect mid-day or afternoon snack to keep on-hand.
- HORMONE FREE: Animals never treated with growth hormones or stimulants
- HEALTHY SNACK: Certified Gluten-Free, Paleo friendly
- CONTAINS: 12 Count Box of 1.3oz protein snack bars
We’re going to review a different kind of energy bar. Unlike our previous options which are 100%-vegan friendly, this one is designed to please meat lovers and provide them with the energy boost they need. Want to know more? Then just keep reading!
There are 12 flavors to choose from:
1. Bison Bacon Cranberry
2. Lamb Currant Mint
3. Beef Apple Bacon
4. Beef Habanero Cherry
5. Pulled Pork
7. Wild Boar Bacon
8. Chicken Sesame BBQ
9. Chicken Sriracha
10. Turkey Almond Cranberry
11. Salmon Smoked Maple
12. Venison Sea Salt Pepper
From all these options the favorites are Bison Bacon Cranberry and Lamb Currant Mint. But what about the flavor, is it any good? Of course it is, because this careful mix of high-quality grass-fed meat, spices, and fruits has been designed to send your taste buds on the journey of a lifetime!
It scores very high in the flavor department, and yes, it is a different experience. All in all, it is a sure shot in terms of flavor, you won’t complain about it!
This bar features the following advantages:
2. No sugar added
4. Rich source of antioxidants, vitamin B12 and Omega 3
5. Great source of animal protein
As you can see it has important benefits, and furthermore it is crafted with the highest-quality grass-fed meat. It doesn’t matter what flavor you choose, you can rest assured that the meat will be of the greatest quality, something that will have a direct positive effect on your energy levels and health. The animals used to make these bars are raised in freedom and in healthy lands, which means that the meat will be infinitely superior and this is exactly what you will find in each bite.
1. Beef Apple Bacon: 4g
2. Bacon: 0g
3. Venison Sea Salt Pepper: 2g
4. Salmon Smoked Maple: 3g
5. Chicken Sriracha: 1g
6. Chicken Sesame BBQ: 5g
7. Pulled Pork: 2g
So yes, if you choose the right flavor then you can use these in your ketogenic diet.
This bar is different but it tastes very well and does its job perfectly. If you want a hearty energy bar you can take with you wherever you go, be it a short ride or a long tour, then this delicious meat bar is exactly what you need!
#5 – Better Than Coffee Energy Bars: For a Massive Energy Boost
- NEW FORMULATION August 2019***
- WARNING: Contains 100mg Natural Caffeine. Start with 1/2 bar if caffeine sensitive. Powered naturally by Guarana & Maca to boost energy and build stamina - convenient caffeine ready-to-eat high energy bars
- Made with premium ingredients plant-based, gluten free, non-gmo, vegan, for sustained energy with no sugar crash
- Dark Chocolate & Coconut: Our original flavor. Intense notes of 70% organic dark chocolate, lightly sweetened by coconut flakes
- 110 Kcal, 5g Protein, 8g Net Carbs (Carbs less Fibers=Net Carbs)
Ok, this bar isn’t for everyone, but if you are looking for a serious kick in the butt to get you going, then the BTC energy bars are exactly what you need. Just take into account that they can be quite strong…
You can find these powerful energy bars in the following flavors:
1. Dark Chocolate & Mint
2. Dark Chocolate & Coconut
3. Dark Chocolate & Cranberry
4. French Roast
They taste very good, just stay aware that they may be bitter than other energy bars but if super-sweet is not your cup of tea, then you are going to love these. The favorite by many mountain bikers and athletes is the Dark Chocolate & Coconut flavor, so you should give it a try because once you taste it you will become a fan as well. It tastes very well and thousands around the world can vouch for it, so it will be a good quick meal during your adventures.
Let’s take a good overview on the composition and features of this bar:
1. 100mg natural caffeine
2. Maca and Guarana for an extra energy boost
3. 70% organic dark chocolate
It is not the perfect choice for strict paleo diets, but if you are not part of that group then this energy bar will be your best friend in your adventures.
As you can see it is made with high-quality ingredients, but due to the high content of caffeine, you will want to start easy by eating half a bar and see how your body reacts. The effect of this bar will last between 2-6 hours without a crash. You will experience more focus, energy, and clarity for several hours.
This bar is incredible if you are looking for a really serious energy boost, just take into account that with great power comes great responsibility. Start easy by eating ½ bar and see how you react.
You might also like to read our guide to the best indoor mountain bike trainers.
- Discover the Best Mountain Bike Glasses 2020 to Protect Your Eyes - March 18, 2020
- Best Mountain Bike Dropper Posts to Up Your Game for 2020 - March 17, 2020
- Best Full Face Mountain Bike Helmets 2020 - March 11, 2020