It’s a mistake all of us made when we started mountain biking – we thought that we’d throw on any old pair of shorts and that would be that. What we all soon realize is that comfort here matters a lot. Without the right shorts, you could end up with a lot of chaffing and discomfort.
By choosing padded mountain bike shorts, you can save yourself a lot of discomfort. It is important to look out for mens’ shorts specifically for mountain biking as these are cut to maximize comfort while out on the trail.
There are two basic types available:
The tight-fitting Lycra shorts, like the Eco Daily Cycling Shorts below, are usually more popular with those who head off cross country or road racing. The baggier shorts are more popular with trail riders and often also have some waterproof properties to keep you comfortable during wet weather.
The key question to ask yourself: “Would you go to the pub in them afterwards”?
The only issue is that, once you start looking for the perfect pair of bike shorts, you’ll see that there are a lot of options out there. To help you get started, we have chosen our top three picks for the best padded mountain bike shorts for men.
We made our choice based on features, finish, and prices. We’ve got a selection in terms of price and style to accommodate different tastes.
Editor’s Choice – If they have pub crawler as the name…I’m buying!!
- FIVE SECURE POCKETS - Plus a cleverly designed smartphone pocket protects your device from the elements while making it easily accessible while on your ride.
- SEAMLESS UNDER PANEL - The under panel of the shorts is a single panel to eliminate rubbing during a ride. All panels and pockets have been double stitched to give a combination of extra strength and flat internal seams to prevent chafing.
- DRY FAST WICKING - Lightweight durable polyester material with a soft brushed cotton.
- (DETACHABLE) G-TEX PADDED UNDERSHORTS - The G-Tex pad is a comfortable, antibacterial pad that is ergonomically designed to increase comfort and movement while wicking away excess moisture.
These padded mountain bike shorts come straight from the famous Urban Cycling Apparel. To begin with, these mountain bike shorts are fairly priced. Quickly moving forward, these mens’ shorts also boast of top-quality construction and excellent design. Still on the construction and design, the short has 5 astonishing deep, secure pockets to keep your devices like smartphones while at the same time making it easy to access them while riding.
In addition, it also has a seamless design that ensures there’s no rubbing while you enjoy your ride. All the panels and pockets are double stitched to provide both extra strength and prevent chafing.
Another thing, these shorts come in an array of color variation like brown, black, navy blue, and khaki. Still on variations, you’ll also get them in different sizes including small, medium, large, X-Large, 2XL, 3XL, and 4XL. In addition, the lightweight, durable polyester material used along with the soft, brushed cotton allows for quick wicking. This will certainly keep you very comfortable as you ride.
Lastly, the detachable G-Tex padded undershorts are designed to increase your comfort as you ride, wick away excess moisture, and at the same time act as an antibacterial pad. All in all, these MTB shorts are a good value for your money because of their extra-durable construction and unique design.
• At under $60, they definitely come at a decent price if you consider the quality. However, features like the size, material, and undershorts can determine how much you pay
• Available in different sizes for everyone – small 28-29”, medium 30-31”, large 32-34”, X-Large 35-36”, 2XL 37-39”, 3XL 40-42”, and 4XL 43-45”
• Designed with 5 secure pockets which are enough to keep your devices as you ride
• The detachable G-Tex padding for comfort and wicking away excess moisture
• Antibacterial bad ensures that you’re safe all the time from deadly bacteria while mountain biking
• Available in different colors to choose from
As with the good, there also must be the bad, here are some of the drawbacks:
• The outer shorts are thin making them prone to damage in case of a crash
• The actual size doesn’t correspond with the indicated sizing – mostly too large, especially for smaller people
• Uncomfortable outer short Velcro connection
• No back pockets
- Made in imported materials
- Comfortable to wear
These are a baggy design that features Velcro at the waist to allow you to adjust it up or down for the perfect fit. The waistband also features a silicone grip to prevent it from slipping. These are designed for maximum comfort during warmer weather.
There are mesh panels on the legs to improve breathability. The Coolmax fabric is very breathable so the family jewels won’t get overheated even on a longer ride. The air mesh liner features a TMF pad made in Italy. The TMF pad provides valuable cushioning while the liner wicks away moisture.
You’ll feel cooler and drier wearing these.
The benefit of wearing baggier shorts is that you get zippered pockets t store your wallet, keys, etc. in.
These are our all-round favorites in terms of performance, but they are not cheap. If you are planning on doing a lot of longer runs, though, you’ll appreciate the extra features and attention to detail.
• High-quality TMF pad
• Adjustable waistband
• Silicone on the waistband to prevent slipping
• Very cool and comfortable
• Enough length for knee-pads
• There is no protection if you fall
• Higher price
• Hook and loop fly
- Built-in padded mountain bike shorts made from stretchy durable fabric allows great freedom of movement
- This casual cycling shorts designed with Loose fitting offers more freedom of movement and ventilation
- 3D foam Pad specifically designed for men, absorbing vibrations, making hours on the saddle easier, while well-positioned seams mean no rubbing.
- Two zippered side pockets and one velcro pocket with key string securely store your items like 5.5" mobile phone
- Elastic waistband with inner drawcord for an adjustable fit, finally reflective logo helps keep you visible in low light
Baleaf Mountain Bike Shorts are arguably the best cycling shorts your money can buy. To begin with, these shorts are made of 92% polyester material while the remaining 8% is spandex. In fact, these materials are tough and durable while at the same time offering you the ultimate comfort. The built-in elastic mesh liner is also designed to offer you comfort and ventilation while riding. Furthermore, the breathable fabric also adds to your comfort.
It doesn’t stop there; you’re guaranteed to stay dry even when you sweat because of the lightweight, durable, and moisture-wicking fabrics it’s made of.
Moving forward, the velcro pocket and the two zippered pockets are designed to help you securely store your devices such as 5.5” mobile phone. The key string found in the back pocket is also to enable you securely keep your keys while enjoying your ride.
When it comes to proper, adjustable fitting and convenience, the elastic wristband offers you just that. These shorts are also stretchy, hence guaranteeing you comfort and durability.
It goes without saying that the 3D padding offers any rider the ultimate protection when on the move. Also, the reflective logo ensures that you stay visible on the road even at night. However, don’t forget to check out the size charts for these shorts which have been upgraded recently.
• At prices ranging between $25.99 and $32.99, these shorts are pretty much affordable
• The shorts are available in different sizes – small, medium, large, X-Large, and XX-Large
• Available in a variety of fashionable color designs – grey, grey black, and black
• Made of tough and durable material making it a definite value for your money
• Built-in 3D chamois for ultimate comfort
• Flexible mesh liner for perfect fit and comfort
With the pros, definitely there must be a few cons which include:
• The inner liner is quite baggy
• A loose interior mesh and pad under the short
• Limited pockets
• Non-removable liner
- 🚵【Functional Breathable & 4 Way Stretch】Cycorld men's mountain bike MTB shorts adopts quick dry and lightweight breathable fabrics which can offer more comfortability of movement to you.
- 🚵【6 Pockets & Zippers】The biking shorts has 6 pockets which includs 4 SBS zipper leg pockets and 2 front pockets, deep enough for storing your 5.5" mobile phone, cash, keys and cards.
- 🚵【Velcro Waistband & Belt Loops】The elastic waistband would hug your waist better, adjustable velcro and belt loops that are around the shorts can adjust the waist size, help this men's mtb cycling shorts nicely in place.
- 🚵【YKK Zipper & Velcro Button】Our biking shorts for men which uses reinforced crotch seams design to resist the rough and tumble in your trail. The button with velcro and YKK zipper will not be broken or get stuck.
- 🚵【Unique Reflective strip & Multipurpose】Reflective design on the leg pockets ensure you are safe, whether you are riding in the early morning or late evening. The mountain biking shorts is fit for cycling, running, hiking, other outdoor activities or daily attire.
When buying padded mountain bike shorts, it’s paramount that you check the size chart very keenly. Failure to do this you could get a short that’s either too large or too small. That said, Cycorld shorts come in different sizes and colors ensuring that you definitely get what you’re looking for.
As for the safety of your precious items like phones, cards, and keys, these shorts have you covered because it features 7 zippered and deep pockets. In particular, it has one pocket on the back, two on the front, and four pockets on the legs.
All this’s to enable the rider get easy access to all the items he might require. Thanks to the baggy construction design, these shorts are simply super comfy. The baggy construction is ideal for you when riding, while the elastic waistband makes them very flexible.
As for durability, these shorts are made using cationic yarn-dyed fabrics which make them very reliable. Still on the construction material, these shorts are made using lightweight and stretchy material, ensuring that you stay in the perfect condition as possible while riding.
The material also offers enough moisture wicking which keeps you dry and comfortable even after sweating. Also, if you find yourself cycling at night, this short ensures your maximum visibility and safety due to the reflective strips on both sides.
• In case you have issues with the product, money back or replacement is guaranteed by the manufacturer – Cycorld
• At $33.99 with a padded undershort, this product is very affordable. You can also get one without the undershorts at $26.99
• The four deep pockets are good enough to safely keep your mobile phone, cards, wallets, and keys as you move
• Very reliable and secure due to the 2 waistband buttons with Velcro
• Fits any waist perfectly because of the adjustable Velcro straps
• Available in different colors (blue or grey) and sizes (M, L, XXL, and XXXL – optional)
• The reflective elements on the strips improves your visibility and safety
• Very comfortable shorts due to the adjustable and baggy design
• The cationic yarn-dyed fabric material makes them durable than most shorts currently available in the market
Below are some of the shortcomings with these mountain bike shorts:
• The first downside with these shorts is that they’re a bit snug. Although they’re very comfortable around the waist, the shorts seem to be a bit tight on the thigh. All in all, these are the best shorts for any mountain bike rider because they’re durable and super comfortable.
- MOISTURE WICKING & BREATHABLE: The bike shorts men with padding are made of 80% Nylon and 20% Spandex that have fine air permeability, moisture absorption and sweat releasing properties. Therefore, it can prevent you from any discomfort such as senses of greasy or stickywhile you are riding and can keep your skin breathing freely.
- SECOND SKIN FIT: The bicycle shorts for men are very stretchy and provide freedom of movement with your body like a second skin. 14-Panel anatomic design helps to reduce fatigue by supporting the movement of the flesh and increasing blood flow to the muscles during workouts. And flatlock seams reduce chaffing and eliminate irritation.
- 4D PROTECTION PAD:6 layers of high impact foam offer comfort and high protection from injuries during long-distance cycling. A highly engineered design includes a four-way stretch and laser-cut rounded edges for a smooth and chafe-free feel. The surface of the pad is ultra-perforated, making it lightweight, breathable, and help to prevent saddle sores.
- The GREAT FEATURE: This mens cycling shorts has 360 degrees of active visibility. Reflective dots design on the thighs look fashional and improve safety in night riding or low-sight condition. Mesh panels in the special places provide excellent breathability,reducing sweating and rubbing. The 4.5 - 8.5 cm width anti-slip silicone fabric leg bands won't ride up or leave marks on your legs.
- NO RISK PURCHASE GUARANTEE：Definitely worth the cost compare to those top brand bike pants in quality, We are cycling supplies manufacturer and have a professional design team and independent design of product appearance.We're committed to providing 100% customer satisfaction, if you have any concern about our biking shorts and service, please do not hesitate to contact us.
These are Lycra shorts taken to the next level. They look very different from the options you normally see because of the padded polygon shapes built into the legs. Don’t let the looks put you off – those shapes are designed to provide protection if you do come of your bike.
The padding doesn’t feel very thick, but it incorporates tech that makes the padding harden when you do hit the ground. Is it going to save you from some nasty bruises? Actually, padded or not, there is nothing that is going to stop you from getting bruised.
What it will do, however, is to cushion the fall. So, while you’ll still bruise, it won’t be as deeply, and you are less likely to fracture bones. The innovative polygon design helps to give full coverage without restricting movement.
These are comfortable to wear because they are made of mesh that stretches four ways. This level of stretch means that cycling, even over longer periods, is comfortable. There is no feeling of restriction thanks to these pants.
The Poly-Spandex fabric breathes well to ensure maximum comfort. The chamois on the inside has a fabric face that is brushed for maximum comfort and impregnated with an antimicrobial treatment.
The family jewels are protected, as are the thighs and tailbone.
• Form fitting
• The waistband is Jacquard Knit for maximum strength and the perfect fit
• Has a Chamois liner that has antimicrobial features
• The liner is perforated to allow better breathability and comfort
• The fabric wicks away moisture and keeps you cooler
• Can be worn as is for a more streamlined effect or under shorts
• They are quite highly priced
• No pockets
- NOTICE:Please CHOOSE THE SIZE BASED ON OUR SIZE CHART.
- The cycling shorts are made in lycra and polyester.It is breathable in that it lets water vapor and perspiration move away from the body.
- Seat cushion with top 4D COOLMAX,riding transit can provide good protection,to avoid injuries caused by riding.
- Effectively reducing the sweat produced sour riding, keep you comfortable and make sure you health.
- Baggy exterior and internal padded bike short.are highly functional for bicycle touring and mountain bike rides.Legs are non binding, elastic free and very soft to wear.
These are our best value for money option and are significantly less expensive than the other two pairs we have looked at already. These are baggy shorts made from a blend of Polyester and Lycra. It will help speed moisture away from your body, helping keep you cool.
It features a seat cushion that has 4D Coolmax to help keep you more comfortable and prevent impact injuries. The internal padding is very comfortable to wear and helps to get sweat away from your body. This, in turn, means a more comfortable ride, especially with longer distances.
The cut is baggy, so you won’t feel restricted while wearing these. They are elastic-free, so there is no need to worry about the elastic snapping during an inopportune moment.
On the downside, this is a very small cut. Do choose a size at least on
e size larger than what you would normally wear.
• Very inexpensive
• Padded interior for additional comfort
• Comfortable fit
• Sizes are small, so you must order up.
Conclusion – What are the best padded mountain bike shorts for men?
When it comes to staying comfortable in the saddle for longer periods of time, apparel becomes extremely important. This is doubly true when it comes to the lower half of your body. For that reason, spending a little more on padded gear makes a lot of sense.
So, which option came out tops for us? The Troy Lee model is our favorite. Sure, we have expensive taste, but we loved so much about this pair. It is the most comfortable. Long enough to wear with kneepads, breathable and with strategically-placed pockets.
Great stitching, attention to detail and the TMF pad helped this model take pole position.
If you are a sci-fi fan, the Eco Daily Shorts are probably going to be more up your alley. In truth, it was a toss-up between these and the Troy Lees for first place. What crunched it for us, in the end, was that the Troy Lees had a baggy fit. And, to be honest, we are not sold on the looks of the LDP option.
Finally, if you have champagne tastes on a beer budget, the Santic could be the pair for you. They are reasonably priced but have a much more upmarket finish.