As a mountain bike enthusiast, you know how important it is to make sure that your bike is locked and secure when unattended. In a short amount of time, your mode of transportation can be stolen and never seen again.
It’s important to invest in a good bike lock that cannot be cut through or broken in order that your bike is always safe from theft.
Learning how a bike lock works will better equip you to choose the right one. Here are some details on the most secure bike locks out there and all the benefits that come with it.
- 1 Kryptonite Evolution 11-14mm U-Lock with FlexFrame-U Bracket
- 2 Amazer Heavy Duty Combination Bike U Lock
- 3 Kryptonite New York Standard Heavy Duty Bicycle U Lock Bike Lock
- 4 Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit 1410 Chain and New York Disc Bike Lock
- 5 TiGr Mini+ Titanium Bike Lock & Mounting Clip
- 6 Determining the Most Secure Bike Locks
- 7 Types of Bike Locks
Editor’s #1 Choice -- Most secure, practical bike lock money can buy
- 13mm Hardended Max Performance Steel Shackle Resists Hand Tools, Bolt Cutters, and Leverage Attacks; 10mm Steel Looped Cable For Additional Security
- Interior Locking Dimensions; 3.25" x 7" Cable Length; 4"
- Key Safe Program; Kryptonite will ship your first 2 keys for free, globally, in the event you lose them.
- Anti-Theft Protection Offer; Up to $2,500 Reimbursement for 1 Year Included. Protective vinyl coating
- Lifetime Warranty
Kryptonite Locks are the King of bikes locks, manufacturing some of the world’s most secure bike locks. They have been making bike locks for the past 40 years and the founder, Michael Zane, invented the first U-bolt bike lock.
This Kryptonite lock consists of a 13mm steel shackle that is designed to provide max performance and resist attacks and bolt cutters. The hardened deadbolts increase holding power by engaging both cycles ends. A higher security disc-style cylinder ensures that the lock is both pick and drill resistant.
Its cross-bar design includes both anti-rotation features which provides protection against twist and single cut attacks. The entire set comes with a flex frame-u bracket which provides convenient multi-location u-lock transportation.
Rated 7/10 on the Kryptonite security scale, it also includes 3 stainless steel keys to make sure you won’t lose access to your lock if you lose a key. Even better, the manufacturer provides a safe key program that in the event that you lose the key, they will ship you two keys to anywhere in the world.
- Very sturdy and fairly priced
- Works on many different sized bikes
- Very easy to lock and unlock onto the bike for the user
- The keys can become jammed into the locks
- WHY AMAZER U LOCK CAN KEEP YOUR BIKE SAFE? Amazer U lock is made of 12mm hardened performance steel shackle and covered by a 3.85mm PVC coating(Total lock’s thickness is almost 16mm). So it can resist cutting and leverage attacks. The PVC lining on the "U" prevents it from scratching bike paint job.
- KEYLESS & EASY TO SET COMBINATION: Choose Amazer U lock, no more lost keys! 4-digit set your own combination convenience allows for thousands of possible combinations. Prevent thieves use universal key to unlock your lock.
- DUST COVER: The combination is covered by a dust cover to protects and extends cylinder life. LOCK SIZE: 8.96”(Length) x 5.74”(Width) x 0.624”(Thickness) - PLEASE NOTE: Manual measurement for reference only.
- HEAVY DUTY LOCK OFFER YOUR BIKE MORE SAFETY: The lock’s net weight is 1.817 lbs(0.824 kg). The shackle is made of steel, the cylinder is steel and made of solid zinc alloy. Whole lock is covered by quality PC material for good looking and keep your bike from scratching.
This Amazer lock was designed to provide your bike with ultimate protection against theft. It is made of 12mm steel shackle to ensure the best performance and is covered by 3.85 PVC coating in order to resist cutting and leverage attacks. The entire lock is covered by quality PC material not only to make the lock look good but to make sure your bike does not get scratched.
It utilizes a keyless system and operates by an easy to set combination. This will not only prevent you from losing your keys but also make it very difficult for thieves to steal as they will have to choose from 4,000 potential combinations. The combination is also protected by a dust cover to extend cylinder life
- Very sturdy lock
- Keyless system
- Includes simple instructions on how to set your own combination
- Can serve other purposes than just for bikes, for example, a storage facility as well
- If it resets itself, it is almost impossible to open without getting a professional involved
- 16mm hardened MAX-PERFORMANCE STEEL SHACKLE resists bolt cutters and leverage attacks
- Patented*HARDENED STEEL SLEEVE over crossbar for double security
- DOUBLE DEADBOLT locking for extensive holding power
- HIGH SECURITY DISC-STYLE CYLINDER
- Center keyway defends against leverage attacks
This lock is made of a 16mm steel shackle that is designed to resist bolt cutters and leverage attacks. It has a protective layer of vinyl on top and a sliding dustcover to extend and protect cylinder life. It includes a double deadbolt that provides extensive holding power.
It also has a center keyway that defends against leverage attacks. Its crossbar design that includes an anti-rotation feature which provides advanced protection against twisting attacks and single cuts. With 3 stainless steel keys, this lock is pick and drill resistant. The flex frame transportation system makes it easy for you to carry it anywhere.
- Long lasting
- The lock mechanism is extremely smooth
- Very sturdy and protects against theft attacks
- It can become very difficult to open which is a hassle
- 14mm six-sided chain links made of 3t HARDENED MANGANESE STEEL for ultimate strength
- Durable, protective nylon cover with hook-n-loop fasteners to hold in place
- Includes maximum security New York Disc Lock with 15mm MAX-PERFORMANCE STEEL SHACKLE
- Patented*, oval hardened STEEL CROSSBAR for extra security
- Hardened DOUBLE DEADBOLT locking for extensive holding power
This lock consists of a 14mm 6 sided chain link that is made of manganese steel to provide the ultimate lock. It comes with a durable nylon cover to hold it in place and a hardened double deadbolt covering for maximum holding power. It also operates by a security disk-style cylinder that has a reinforced anti-drill and pulls protection system.
The set comes with 3 stainless steel keys, one of which is lighted with a high-intensity bulb and accompanied by a replaceable battery. This bike lock also comes with a patented oval steel crossbar for the purpose of extra security and a Key Safe program.
- Works with most any sized bicycle
- Works to lock up motorcycles as well
- Hard and intimate, making it difficult for thieves to remove
- Heavy and clunky and is very loud to operate
- Locking area:: 4 inches X 8 inches (approx).
- High security, disc-style lock cylinder (includes two keys)
- PVC coating on bow protects bike frame from scratches
- Included Mounting clip is simple to install, easy to use
- 1.0 pounds
This lock is designed to be light while remaining strong and TiGr have completed their brief, producing one of the most secure bike locks money can buy. Titanium is an incredible strong material, yet very light -- the reason high end MTB frames are made of titanium. Its weight makes it easy to transport anywhere you need to. It’s also very easy to use. It also includes a mounting clip which is very easy to install. Lastly, the lock includes a disc-style lock cylinder that comes with two keys.
Its PVC coating is meant to protect the bike from getting scratched and it only weighs 1.0 lbs., which makes it light and easy to carry. This lock works well on most bicycles of different sizes.
- Very stylish while remaining secure
- The U design allows you to lock up two bikes at once
- Resists cutters and hammers well
- Because of its size, there can be some instances where the lock is too small to fit around a bike rack.
Determining the Most Secure Bike Locks
Although there are many different types of bike locks, they all essentially work the same. There are slight differences into how they really work, though.
In order to understand how a bike lock really works, you should look at first how thieves operate, what tools they use, and how your bike will be vulnerable. This will help you determine which lock to purchase.
Lock picks are the smallest and quietest tools one can carry. Interestingly enough, they also require a lot of skill to use. Different locks require different types of tools and vary in difficulty to pick. But once a thief is proficient in using a lock pick, all they have to do is find a lock they recognize and your bike is theirs.
A pair of simple wire cutters is probably the easiest tool that can because. Most people continue to use braided steel cables and a padlock or a basic cable lock to lock up their bike. These types of locks can be easily cut through with a pair of cable cutters.
A hacksaw is a quiet tool that can be used to cut through nonhardened locks quickly. Cheap U-locks and cable locks can be cut completely through with a hacksaw. If a thicker lock is used, a hacksaw may be used but it will take a longer time to used.
Bolt cutters are tools that work in a breeze. They may not work on every single lock, but the locks they do work on work in a snap. One cut and your bike is gone.
A cordless drill is a rarer tool that is used by bike thieves. It can only work well on a few types of locks. One of these locks is a folding lock. Folding locks have become more popular to use and using a drill has become a tool of choice for many thieves.
Types of Bike Locks
Cable locks are a type of braided lock. The braided cable is composed of many thin wires and it makes it more difficult to cut through than a cable that consists of less thicker strands. Choosing a braided cable lock will help with the basic cable safety construction of your lock. This type of lock is a good benefit.
Chain locks are extremely flexible and tend to come in a shorter length than cable locks. The benefit of these types of locks is that they are made from steel and when they are made with the links closer together it is makes it harder for thieves to get through the lock.
Chain locks have been proven to be more secure for a longer period of time. But they can be much heavier than a cable lock which means transporting could be an issues if you have no place to store your lock while biking.
This type of lock is essentially a cable lock. The only difference here is that the cable is not visible as the lock is wrapped around a barrel. This type of lock guards well against theft because the barrel rotates independently of the cable.
Shackle locks are commonly used and they normally consist of two parts, the mechanism housing and the U or D shape lock bar which secures into the housing. This is one of the most secure locks that can be purchased as the support the weight of your bike and give strong safety to the bike.
Although they are not particularly large locks, the benefit is that when locking your bike using a shackle lock you are able lock your bike close to a mechanism.
Conclusion -- Which is the most Secure bike lock?
Ultimately, it would seem pointless to spend a fair amount of money investing in your mountain bike yet not ensuring its security. You don’t want your bike to get stolen easily. Take the time to research and find the best secure bike locks that can really deter thieves and keep your bike safe.