Finding the perfect bike rack makes it possible for you to easily take your bike anywhere. Whether shredding a mountain top or taking a slow scenic route, it is important to find the bike rack that is going to make your journey hassle free so you can enjoy your ride. You can choose from of a variety of different bike racks depending on your car, bike, and lifestyle.
- Premium platform hitch bike rack for 2-4 bikes
- Carry up to 4 bikes with the Thule XT Pro XT Bike Add-on (sold separately, 2" receiver only)
- Fits 20 - 29 " wheels, fat bikes with up to 5" tires, and hub spacing up to 197 mm
- Ideal for carbon frames, mountain, downhill and fat bikes (does not fit 27.5" fat bikes)
- Load capacity: 120 lbs (60lb max per bike)
Thule are the daddy of car storage gear, known for their beautiful looking cargo boxes. This hitch rack is by far the top pick of bike racks. It hits all the most important features for you and your vehicle: safety for your car, security for your bike, solid frame, ease of use, stability. You won’t be disappointed if you want a high quality, lasting and robust bike rack.
The Thule T2 ProXT comes in two colors: silver and black. It can carry two bikes, although there is an add-on option sold separately that will allow you to carry up to four bikes. Not only does the rack attach without tools and locks in easily, but it also has a lever that tilts the rack up or down to allow stress-free bike placement. This rack can hold up to 120 pounds.
- Easy to install
- Tilts for rear of vehicle access
- Folds compactly for storage
- Cable lock for bikes
- Large clearance between bikes
- Securely holds bikes
- On the pricey side
- Only holds 2 bikes without Thule T2 Pro XT Add-On
Allen Sports Deluxe Trunk Mounted Bike Rack
- Patented design fits sedans, hatchbacks, minivans, and SUV's consult manufacturer web site for specific vehicle fit information
- Side straps for increased lateral stability
- Individual tie downs secure and protect bicycles
- Padded lower frame keeps bicycles away from vehicle
- Ships in Certified Frustration Free Packaging 70 pounds max capacity
This trunk mounted bike rack is price efficient and comes in three styles, letting you choose if you want to hold two, three, or four bikes. It is capable of fitting on a range of vehicles. This product comes fully assembled, so you can install it right out of the package.
- Backed by manufacturer’s lifetime warranty
- Fits most vehicles
- Straps provide lateral stability
- Blocked trunk/rear-door access
- Bikes may sway/adjust during transport
MaxxHaul (70210) 4-Bike Deluxe Hitch Mount Rack
- Securely transport 4 bikes
- Swing down feature allows easy access to rear of vehicle
- Fits 2 inch receivers
- Rigid all steel construction
- Adjustable bike cradle with hook and loop straps
This hitch rack comes in at a low price that can hold up to four bikes. The product is lightweight, weighing in at 26.1 pounds – this makes for easier installation and removal. This rack comes with straps to help ensure your bike is secured to your vehicle.
Do be aware that it can be a pain to attach and that smaller bikes are best if you want to attach four at a time.
- Fits 4 bikes
- Swings/ for easy trunk access
- Folds for storage
- Hitch and pin lock
- Minimal space between bikes and the vehicle
- Cannot be used for bikes with slanted bars
Tyger Auto TG-Rk4B102B Deluxe 4-Bike Carrier Rack
- Fits all types of dual-arm bikes on vehicles equipped with either a 1.25 or a 2 inch hitch receiver. (Please check listing picture for some exemptions.)
- 4 bike capacity with sturdy and handy construction. Easy ratchet buckles. TYGER cable lock & hitch lock & security strap included. OE standard Black color E-Coating for rust resistance.
- Convenient vehicle access with tilt down feature and foldable carry arms when not in use. Soft cradles and protection pad designed to secure your bikes individually and protect your bike frames.
- Easy installation in minutes. (DIY instruction included in package.)
- TYGER No-Hassle Limited Lifetime Warranty!
This hitch rack is sturdy and designed with your bikes and car in mind. Soft cradles are intended to protect the frame of your bike. Cable lock, hitch pin lock, and safety straps are included for the security of your bike. Installation is a cinch and the rack comes with instructions in the package.
- Mid-price range
- Manufacturer limited lifetime warranty
- Easy installation
- Attentive customer service
- Blocked trunk/rear-door access
- Requires skill to keep bikes from swaying
BV Bike Bicycle Hitch Mount Rack
- Tilt Back Design - The tilt backward design enables users to open the rear gates without detaching the hitch rack.
- Fold Up Design - User can fold up the rack when not in use. Smart idea to save space!
- Safety Reflector - This rack includes a rear safety reflector to enhance the visibility, ensuring the night driving safety.
- Tray-styled Loops and Padded Arms - Not only can firmly held your bike in place, the padded arms can protect your bike from scratching.
- Bike Compatibility- For bikes under 35 lbs each, and 3" maximum tire width (Not for fat tire bike)
This hitch rack is a two-bike carrier made to prevent shifting during transportation with a 2-way anti-wobble system and loops and padded arms to firmly hold your bike in place. The tilting feature allows you access your trunk with ease.
- Great quality for price
- Reflector for rear safety
- Tilting allows access to trunk/rear-door
- Folds up for storage
- Hooks can scratch bike
- Difficult assembly
- Stripped bolts cause the rack to wobble
What Can Bike Racks for Cars Do?
All bike racks serve the main purpose of getting your bike from point A to point B. However, there are several different types, brands, and models of bike racks. It is important to know everything that goes into picking out the one that is right for you.
Truck Bike Racks: You can take your bike anywhere with no worries with a truck bike rack. They are simple to use, secure, and very reasonably priced.
Roof Bike Racks: This sits comfortably on the roof of your car and is very easy to adjust and handle.
Trunk Bike Racks: You can fit several bikes onto the rear of your vehicle. This is a highly recommended design of bike racks and is perfect if your car does not have a towbar or hitch.
Hitch Bike Racks: These bike racks are easy to install and can carry up to five bikes. No base rack is needed on hitch models because they mount to the receiver hitch.
Features to Consider
When buying a bike rack, it is important to look for the benefits they provide. Usually, the more features they have, the more expensive they are. However, a high-quality bike rack is an awesome investment and can save a lot of trouble and frustration in the future.
Here are a few key features to look for when picking out a bike rack:
Strong Securing Points
Do not underestimate the importance of a strong holding power. The last thing you want is to look in your rearview mirror and see your two-wheeled baby flying down the freeway. That is why you want to make sure you are choosing a bike rack with the strength to hold your bike firmly while being gentle enough to not damage the paintwork, wheels, or frame.
Sturdy cables that wrap around your bike and lock it into place, keeping your bike protected from thieves. Locking cables are usually only found on more premium models which can be a bit pricey. But the extra protection could save you a lot of money in the long run.
Car Attachment Points
Just like your bike, you want your bike rack to also be securely attached to your car. Ideally, you want to look for a bike rack that is padded at all points where it touches your vehicle, so you do not have to worry about your car’s paintwork being damaged.
You do not want a bike rack that is difficult to assemble and install.The annoying process will make you dread taking your biking anywhere! So make your entire biking experience fun and relaxing by choosing a rack that requires minimal tools and adjustments.
Ability to fold on vehicle when not in use
When you are not in the process of transporting bikes, it would be nice to get the bike rack out of the way without having to take it off the car completely. So try and find a bike rack that includes a foldable hanging hitch, so you can save space when no bikes are on your rack.
Tips For Managing Your Car Bike Racks
You made an investment with your bike, let’s make sure it is taken care of with proper traveling storage. There are several types of bike racks available, but let’s focus on rear mounted racks, like the hitch rack and the trunk rack.
Hitch racks are a great choice for many types of vehicles. A hitch receiver is required for this type of rack. If this type of rack would benefit you the most but your car did not come with a hitch receiver, check your car’s compatibility to get one installed.
Hitch Rack Considerations
One of the many benefits of a hitch rack is that it is not a permanent attachment. The mounts slide onto your car’s hitch receiver, so installation is a breeze. You can add/remove the rack for whatever the situation entails.
Depending on the type of rack you purchase, access to your trunk or rear-door may be restricted. For a higher cost, the best hitch racks swing or tilt to allow you easier access to your rear-door.
Rack placement on the car can cause a couple of issues. It is important to remember the extra length this type of rack adds to your car when parking. You can find racks that fold against your car to prevent this type of problem. Other issues can include visual disturbances when bikes are attached; such as, blocked taillights and trunks and obstructed view through the rearview mirror.
Trunk racks are the best option for a wide array of vehicles and tend to be the most cost effective. This rack is fastened to the rear of your car using hooks and straps that secure your bike onto the support mechanism.
Trunk Rack Considerations
Unlike the hitch rack, the trunk rack is a little more difficult to install and remove. The straps require skill to attach and remove, and you must be careful to avoid scratching your car’s paint. However, with practice, you will be able to install and remove the rack with little problems.
This type of rack is perfect for the occasional user who takes short trips. The rack is very lightweight and can be switched between other compatible vehicles. Most racks tend to hold two or three bikes. Better racks come with cradles that keep the bikes from swaying during transport.
We have gone over what bike racks can do for your car and the special features to keep an eye out for. But before picking one, you should know more about the different types. Whether you want it to be high-end or as simple as they come, there is a long list to choose from.
High-End Bike Racks
If you are looking for a bike rack with many additional features, you are in luck. The price tag on these high-end options might not be the most appealing, but they are definitely worth every penny. High-end bike racks are beautifully designed and made to last.
Some key features they usually include are tool-free attachment and locking cables. With the pricier options, they are also likely to have a hinged joint that can lean outward so you have access to your truck even while the bike rack is on. When the bike rack is empty, you can easily fold it up to free space which can be very helpful if your car or garage gets crammed.
Easy-to-use Bike Racks
If you don’t care so much about special features and you are more concerned with the price tag, there are still several options to choose from. Finding an easy-to-use bike rack is an important feature in itself, since loading and unloading your bike can be a difficult process if not chosen carefully.
Versatile Bike Racks
If you have several bikes or simply want a more flexible option, you are still spoiled with choices. Bike racks without hitch bars are made for a variety of different vehicles and can fit comfortably on whatever you are driving. Another awesome thing about versatile bike racks is there are several sizes available. So no matter how many bikes you have or what type of car you drive, there is a model for you.
Final Verdict – Which Bike Rack to Buy?
Overall, there are some great options out there for bike racks for cars. If you are new to biking and don’t necessarily understand the lingo, you can always choose from the most popular bike racks we’ve recommended here. Our highly recommended bike racks are easy to install, load, and use overall. From their innovative design and amazing prices, you are sure to be satisfied with your purchase.
The Thule T2 Pro XT 2 Bike Rack provides the best quality rack that has you, your vehicle, and your bike in mind. You will be able to install this rack easily and travel with peace of mind knowing that your bike is securely attached to your vehicle. The Thule is a bike rack that meets all of your needs.