If you have progressed from trail riding to full on downhill (DH) or freeriding, you will need to upgrade your helmet to a full face. Downhill is much more dangerous due to the speeds and risk of collision. Below we have made your buying decision simpler, with 11 top full face mountain bike helmets that provide best protection.
Full face mountain bike helmet FAQs
What are full face mountain bike helmets used for?
Full face helmets are generally used for downhill (DH) mountain bike riding and freestyle.
How do I know my size?
To find your helmet size, simply measure the circumference of your head with a tape measure. See our sizing chart below.
When do MTB helmets need to be replaced?
If you have ever had a bad crash and your helmet hit the floor with considerable impact, the helmet should be replaced. Not only could the shell be damaged with fiber fractures but the internal EPS padding gets crushed and does not return to its original shape.
Can they be washed?
Yes. Most full faced helmets have a removable inner lining that can be washed.
How are full face mountain bike helmets tested?
Most helmets are drop tested or impact tested. More advanced testing use MIPS, which tests multi directional impacts. See this video below.
Will a full face helmet save my life?
Sauserwind’s top 11 Full Face Helmets for 2018
- 1 Fox Head Rampage Full Race Helmet
- 2 7iDP M1 Helmet
- 3 Bell Sanction Downhill MTB Helmet
- 4 Demon Podium Full Face Mountain Bike Helmet
- 5 Bell Super 2R Bike Helmet
- 6 Giro Switchblade MIPS MTB Helmet
- 7 Fox Racing Rampage Pro Carbon (RPC) Helmet with MIPS (Best Pro Helmet)
- 8 661 Complete Helmet (Best cheap MTB full face helmet)
- 9 Oneal Black-Hi Viz 2018 Fury RL Mercury MTB Full Face Helmet
- 10 POC Coron Bike Helmet (Best Looking Helmet)
- 11 Troy Lee Designs D3 Composite Helmet Cadence (Best High End Helmet)
Fox Head Rampage Full Race Helmet
- SAFETY - The fiberglass shell makes the Rampage Helmet incredibly durable. The larger eye-opening also allows you to wear goggles, to better protect against debris and dirt.
- COMFORT - 11 well placed vents allow for greater airflow to keep you cool and dry, all ride long. Soft cheek pads, a comfort inner lining and double D-ring strap keep the helmet secure, so you won't need to constantly stop and readjust, letting you focus on the ride, and not on the helmet.
- STYLE - Look cool, everywhere you go. Slick styling is accentuated by eye-catching Fox branding, giving you all the street cred you deserve. No matter where you wear this helmet, you're sure to stand out from the rest.
- USE - Developed with MTB riders in mind, the Rampage is competition ready. Perfect for all day riding, this helmet can stand up to whatever you throw at it. Life is short, go wild!
- PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS - Available in sizes Small, Medium, Large, and X-Large
Fox racing needs no introduction if you are a regular Sauserwind reader, they produce high quality MTB helmets which are loved by pro riders. The helmet has an eleven vent air system and removable/washable inner lining. Lots of positive reviews make this full face helmet one of our top 3 buys.
We love the black matt finish on this Fox rampage helmet, but it does come in three other colors if you want to stand out. See also the carbon version below for competitive riders.
7iDP M1 Helmet
- Lightweight polycarbonate shell
- 17 large vents provide cold air intake and heat Exhaust
- Large Eye port for greater field of vision and improved google fit
- Available in 6 Colors and 5 sizes
- Complies to CE, CPSC and as standards
7iDP specialize in mountain bike riding protection and offer a range of helmets and body armor. This full face helmet has a seventeen vent system and its USP is the large eye area for maximum visibility. Amazon buyers love this helmet due to the comfort and low weight.
Bell Sanction Downhill MTB Helmet
- ABS SHELL CONSTRUCTION with Adjustable Visor
- LIGHTWEIGHT FULL-FACE - offers comfort and protection for dirt jump or BMX riders who want a smaller size and profile
- SPECIFICATIONS - X-Small (48-51 cm), Small (52-54 cm), Medium (55-57 cm), and Large (58-60 cm) Sizes; 15 Helmet vents; CPSC Bicycle, CE EN1078 Certifications
Bell is a US-based company that specializes in helmets for motorbikes and bicycles, with seventy years of manufacturing experience. Bell also partner the International Mountain Bike Association (IMBA) to help develop the industry and safety in the sport. The Bell Sanction Downhill helmet is an Amazon best seller with lots of positive reviews. The helmet is lightweight for a full face helmet, weighing in at 950g. The shell is hand laminated with fiberglass and is well ventilated.
These helmets are designed for kids or adults with small heads!
Demon Podium Full Face Mountain Bike Helmet
- NOTE: Sizing on this helmet runs small, please measure your head and compare with size chart for accurate sizing.
- EPS foam liner conforms to your shape for superior fit. Removable, washable helmet liner
- 2lbs. 2oz., 13 convenient air flow vents
- CPSC Certified,Includes helmet bag. Tough injection molded thermal alloy resin polycarbonate shell
Another best seller on Amazon, the Demon Podium is an awesome helmet for under $100. the helmet was designed my Demon’s pro rider team and is made of a tough polycarbonate shell with thirteen well designed air vents. This helmet is very well ventilated and perfect for hot summer rides.The helmet has a removal and washable liner which is a great feature as full face helmets can tend to get smelly.
This full face helmet is also compatible with the brain teaser audio system
Bell Super 2R Bike Helmet
- Removable chin bar makes this two helmets in one
- TAG fit system allows adjustment in muLTiple planes for precise fit
- Breakaway camera attachment mount
- Adjustable visor, X-Static padding
- Overbrow ventilation system helps you charge up climbs
Another top selling helmet from Bell. The Super 2R helmet’s main USP is the removable chin bar so you can also use it for general riding. The helmet also comes with dedicated camera mounts for capturing your epic rides. We love the oversized air vents which are great if full face helmets make you feel slightly claustrophobic.
Giro Switchblade MIPS MTB Helmet
- 20 vents with internal channeling
- Roc Loc Air DH system
- In-mold construction
- Certifed to CPSC, EN-1078 and ASTM-1952-DH with & without chinbar
- Removable chinbar
Another great helmet from Giro with a removable chin guard and Gopro mounts. This full face helmet has a twenty vent cooling system which technically well designed.
The helmet comes in ten different color scheme and six different sizes. This is also a great kids starter helmet for BMX or DH MTB.
Fox Racing Rampage Pro Carbon (RPC) Helmet with MIPS (Best Pro Helmet)
- Shell Material: carbon fiber
- Impact Foam: EPS
- Ventilation: 17 mesh-lined vents
- Visor: yes, break-away
- Full Face: yes
The Rampage pro MTB helmet is made for competitive riders. It’s made of carbon which makes it extremely light compared to the others on our list, but you will pay the price for it. The RPC helmet has a 17 point ventilation system and luxury interior which makes it comfortable to wear. The helmet is built with Fox Racings’s MIPS system, which is a patented crash system to reduce brain injury. Crash test are done from varying angles, unlike standard test in which the helmet is dropped directly onto a hard surface.
The RPC comes in three different color schemes and weighs 5.1lbs.
661 Complete Helmet (Best cheap MTB full face helmet)
661 is a California company specializing in protective gear for cyclists. This helmet is amazing for the price (under $100) and comes in five different sizes and five color schemes.
Ideal if you are looking for a cheap full face MTB helmet for kids.
Oneal Black-Hi Viz 2018 Fury RL Mercury MTB Full Face Helmet
No products found.
Oneal has been around since the 60s. They started making gear for motocross and then diversified into mountain bike gear. They are now big in the MTB industry and run their own team. The Fury RL has been around for a few years now and gets a few tweaks each year by the developers. One great feature of this MTB helmet is the magnetic buckle which can be handled with one hand. The helmet has a washable inner and is lightweight.
POC Coron Bike Helmet (Best Looking Helmet)
- M-FORGE Shell
- Multi-impact EPP liner
- Ventilation system with internal channels
- Ear chambers designed for less effect on balance and hearing
- Unique breakaway visor
POC Sports is an award-winning Swedish based company that started out in protective ski gear and expanded into mountain bike helmets. They are now a big player in the MTB industry and are the official partners of the Cannondale-Garmin pro rider team.
The helmet is made of POC’s M-force shell which was designed in collaboration with their pro riders. The inside of the helmet has an EPP liner and superb ventilation system.
CERTIFICATIONS EN 1078, CPSC 12.03, AS/NZ 2063:2008, ASTM F1952
Troy Lee Designs D3 Composite Helmet Cadence (Best High End Helmet)
- Shell Material: composite
- Impact Foam: EPS
- Ventilation: 14 intake vents, 6 exhaust vents
- Fit Adjustment: incremental sizing
- Visor: yes, adjustable
Troy Lee has spent 30 years designing helmets for motocross and mountain bike riders. The D3 is an upgraded version of the D2 with added safety testing . This helmet has been around a few years and won numerous awards and competitions. The hardware is actually made of titanium which makes the helmet more expensive than most of its rivals. The helmet also comes in a carbon version which is much lighter, but obviously costs more:
No products found.