When last did you replace the brake cable on your bike? Just like the brake pads in your car, your bike cable needs to be replaced every so often. Not doing so could cause your breaks to fail completely and you don’t want that to happen when you’re flying down a hill at great speed.
Choosing the right cable is important but how do you know which to pick? Let us make it simpler for you by narrowing down the choices to my top three brake cable picks.
We Didn’t Include the Jagwire Hyper DIY Brake Cable Kit
For the simple reason that it doesn’t really offer sufficient extra value to account for the higher price point.
Our Top Three MTB brake cables for cable activated brakes and non-hydraulic disk brakes
Shimano Brake Cable and Housing Set (Universal)
- Universal Set: Fits either mountain bikes or road bikes
- Stainless steel inner wires provide smooth movement and higher corrosion resistance
- 1 x Black Cable Housing with Ø 5 mm (2200 mm long)
- 2 x Steel cables with Ø 1,6 mm (1 x 1000 mm long) & (1 x 2050 mm long)
- 4 x Ferrule's & 2 x Cable tips
Shimano is a well-trusted name in the cycling world and offers a range of good quality products at very reasonable prices. This set is no exception.
• The cable features both road and MTB ends
• Comes with the housing
• Also, comes with the end caps and ferrules
Those who have tried this set loved the quality of this set and felt that it would stand up to wear and tear quite well.
The inclusion of different the different ends makes these more versatile, but it also means that you have to pay more attention to what you are doing, or you might cut off the wrong end. There is an easy fix, though, place a sticker on both of the housings that you are going to cut off before you start to install the cable and you should be fine.
• Simple to use
• Good price point
• Can be used for either road bikes or mountain bikes
• Comes with the ferrule, etc. that you need
• It’s easy to cut the wrong end off of the cable when installing
• You might need to get more ferules, depending on the configuration you are using when you place these.
Zicome 2m Long Bicycle Bike Replaceable Brake Cable
- Front & rear brake cable
- Front & rear derailleur cable
- Cable ferrules and cable ends included
This set of 10 cables is excellent value for money.
• 10 cables included
• 20 end tips
• Soldered ends
• Longer length to make customization easier
Users found that this was a good value product and that it came clean and ready to use.
The only negative that I could see was that it doesn’t come with the housing. However, considering the lower price per cable, having to buy the housing separately is not a problem.
• Finished nicely
• Excellent price point
• Lots of cables included
• Housing is not included
Schwinn Brake and Derailleur Cable Repair Set
- Package includes 10 x bike replaceable brake cables and 20 x alloy cable caps end tips.
- Length : 2m; Well packaged with a ZICOME plastic bag
- Stainless steel strong slick cable for more braking power and smooth operation
- Long enough to custom the shift cables length
- Practical and durable cable end tips fits for bicycle brake cable, nylon rope, shoelace
Schwinn is another company that has a good reputation, and that offers good products at a reasonable price.
• Both front and back cables
• With housing
• Cable-ends and ferrules included
Users were impressed by the strength of the cables as a whole, with a few suggesting that you get a very good set of wire clippers to make it easier to cut.
Depending on your bike, you may need extra crimps, and these would have to be bought separately. These are, however, inexpensive and easy to come by so it’s not the end of the world. Replacing the brake cables on your bike is something that can be easily done, and cheaply done at home. There is no need to pay a lot to get this done by a professional.