If you are a mountain bike junkie and doing hard rides, post ride nutrition supplements could be for you. We guide you through the best nutrition supplements for post ride recovery which will prevent muscle soreness and dehydration.
- Gold Standard 100% Whey delivers 24g of whey protein, has 55 grams of naturally occurring BCAAs, and 4 grams of naturally occurring glutamine per serving Gluten Free
- Whey protein shake consumed before or after exercise helps kick start muscle recovery for men and women
- Have an Alexa device? Enable our "Optimum Nutrition Workout Recipes" Skill. Recommended usage is between meals.
- Over 20 delicious flavors! Comes in multiple sizes, most popular are 5, 2, 10, and 1 pound sizes 5 grams of the naturally occurring branched chain amino acids leucine, isoleucine, and valine in each serving
- Frequently purchased with ON Creatine, ON Amino Energy, and Opti-Men
Whey protein is currently all the rage, especially for gym bunnies, but they are excellent for mountain bike riders too.
What is Whey protein?
Whey protein is a dairy based protein which has the essential amino acids for muscle building.
Benefits of whey protein for post MTB rides
When you do a heavy ride, your muscles break down essential proteins in your muscles and uses them for fuel. These proteins need to be replaced to help muscle recovery. You can get these from protein rich foods like steak and salmon, but Whey powders provide a quick and easy hit with out the cholesterol. Whey Protein will also help with post ride leg pains.
- Optimum Nutrition
- The pro's formula
- Highest Quality Ingredients available
What is creatine?
Creatine is produced naturally by your body from protein rich foods like chicken and fish and stored in the form of creatine phosphate (CP). CP will increase energy levels for short bursts of exercise.
Why use creatine for post mountain bike rides?
Along with it’s energy producing effects, creatine is also proven to speed up muscle recovery after intense mountain bike rides.
Creatine can be purchased in powders, drinks but capsules are considered the best form.
- 2:1:1 ratio of Leucine to Isoleucine and Valine
- Easy to swallow capsules
- Supports muscle building and exercise recovery
- Recommended : First thing in the morning and/or during the 30 minutes just before or immediately after training. Simply take 2 capsules with your favourite beverage, or with your ON protein shake.
What is BCCA?
BCCA stands for ‘branded chain amino acids‘. They comprise of the main three amino acids in your body’s muscles. Loved by athletes for years, they have been pushed aside by popular whey proteins, but they are all the rage again.
What does BCCA do?
Along with aiding muscle growth, they also provide ‘muscle fuel’ to help with hard hill MTB climbs. They also decrease the amount of muscle soreness and aid muscle recovery.
Note: best to be taken prior to MTB rides to get the benefit during and after
- Now taurine 1000 mg 250 caps now double strength taurine has twice the taurine
- Taurine is a conditionally essential amino acid which is not utilized in protein synthesis
- Taurine is well known for its role in the modulation of neurotransmitter activity
Taurine is actually an Amino acid essential to the muscles. Research has shown that taurine helps fighting delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) as it acts as an anti-inflammatory.
Now Taurine (1000mg) is Amazon’s best seller with lots of good reviews and positive stories.
- Variety 4-pack contains one tube of each flavor: Orange, Tri-Berry, Citrus Fruit, Lemon Lime
- Packed with an optimal blend of 4 key electrolytes to replenish those lost during activities (running, biking, swimming, skiing, etc.)
- Helps alleviate cramps and improve muscle function
- Low sugar, low calorie, less than one carb. The perfect sports drink!
- Refreshingly light flavor, no high-fructose corn syrup, no artificial colors or flavors
Drop one these in your MTB water bottle and you are good to go
What are electrolytes?
Electrolytes are naturally occurring compounds that are essential for our survival. They help regulate numerous functions in our body including muscle function, hydration and rebuilding of damaged tissues. Electrolytes include calcium and potassium.
Why are they good for mountain bikers (MTBR)?
If you are doing very active rides, you will lose a lot of water, via sweating, and essential electrolytes. These need to be replaced to aid health and recovery. Electrolyte drinks will also help hydration by helping you retain water (instead of pissing it out!).
- Includes 100 tablets of Centrum Adult daily multivitamin supplement for men and women
- Backed by over 35 years of nutritional science, Centrum is the most complete multivitamin, with Centrum's highest levels of Vitamin D3
- Age-adjusted for adults under age 50 with key nutrients to support energy, immunity and metabolism (2)*
- The #1 doctor and pharmacist recommended multivitamin brand (3)
- Verified non-GMO (1) and gluten-free multivitamin that's easy-to-swallow
We all know we need vitamins for good heath, but are you actually getting enough. If you live a hectic life and out on your MTB 24/7 it can be time consuming shopping and cooking healthy meals all the time. A decent multi vitamin pill will stop you getting run down, especially if you participate in riding during the cold and wet winter months.
Centrum are the leaders in vitamins and these chewable pills above are quick and easy to digest. They offer 100% RDA for 14 essential vitamins and have very good customer reviews.
Image sources: ambmag.com.au